Quantcast

Jewish Journal

Man held in Cyprus for planning attack on Israelis

JTA

July 24, 2012 | 12:21 pm

A Swedish citizen of Lebanese origin suspected of planning to attack Israeli targets in Cyprus was ordered held over by a court there.

The Cypriot court on Monday ordered the man, 24, detained after noting the similarities between his actions and those of the Bulgarian suicide bomber who killed five Israelis and a Bulgarian bus driver in an attack on an Israeli tour bus at the Burgas airport.

The man in Cyprus had been arrested earlier this month, accused of tracking the movements of Jewish tourists, Reuters reported. He reportedly is being held on suspicion of espionage and conspiring to commit a crime.

Cypriot Justice Minister Loucas Louca said in a news conference Monday that the investigation will continue through Friday. He said the suspect belongs to an organization not on the European Union list of known terrorist groups, but did not name the group.

He was arrested two days after arriving in Cyprus from London, and was found with a list of tourist spots frequented by Israelis, according to reports.

{--Tracker Pixel for Entry--}

COMMENTS

We welcome your feedback.

Privacy Policy
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.

Terms of Service
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.

Publication
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.

ADVERTISEMENT
PUT YOUR AD HERE