Jewish Journal

Fresh scrutiny of Claims Conference allocations

By Stewart Ain, The Jewish Week

Posted on Nov. 29, 2010 at 11:50 am

As the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany seeks to root out additional cases of fraud, the $42.5 million scandal that has rocked the organization has rekindled dissatisfaction with the group’s annual allocation of tens of millions of dollars.

To address those growing complaints, Claims Conference Chairman Julius Berman told The Jewish Week that he plans to announce “in a couple of days” appointments to a long-delayed special committee that is to review past and future disbursements.

Moshe Zanbar, a former chairman of the Claim Conference’s executive committee, complained last week to The Jewish Week that the Claims Conference board authorized the committee in July “and this is now November and we have heard nothing.”

Berman said the new Allocations Policy Review Committee “would be broadly represented” by Israeli and American Holocaust survivors, and would “review where the money has gone over the last few years” and discuss future allocations.

Read more here.

Tracker Pixel for Entry


View our privacy policy and terms of service.