January 19, 2006
Attacks on Moscow Synagogues
Moscow's five functioning synagogues have been repeated targets:
- Dec. 30, 1993 -- The old wooden building of the Marina Roscha Synagogue burned to the ground in what was considered an arson attack.
- 1994 -- A hand grenade was thrown at the window of the Bolshaya Bronnaya Synagogue.
- October 1994 -- An explosive device disguised as a beer can was found and defused in the courtyard of the Choral Synagogue.
- August 1996 -- An explosive device went off outside of the Marina Roscha Synagogue. No one was injured.
- May 1998 -- Two people were injured when an explosive device went off near the Marina Roscha Synagogue.
- July 13, 1999 -- A knife-wielding youth entered the Choral Synagogue and stabbed Jewish leader Leopold Kaimovsky several times.
- July 25, 1999 -- An explosive device containing 500 grams of TNT was found in the prayer hall of the Bolshaya Bronnaya Synagogue. It was successfully defused.
- April 2003 -- An explosive device was found and defused outside the Bolshaya Bronnaya Synagogue.