Moscow's five functioning synagogues have been repeated targets:
- Dec. 30, 1993 -- The old wooden building of the Marina Roscha Synagogue burned to the ground in what was considered an arson attack.
- 1994 -- A hand grenade was thrown at the window of the Bolshaya Bronnaya Synagogue.
- October 1994 -- An explosive device disguised as a beer can was found and defused in the courtyard of the Choral Synagogue.
- August 1996 -- An explosive device went off outside of the Marina Roscha Synagogue. No one was injured.
- May 1998 -- Two people were injured when an explosive device went off near the Marina Roscha Synagogue.
- July 13, 1999 -- A knife-wielding youth entered the Choral Synagogue and stabbed Jewish leader Leopold Kaimovsky several times.
- July 25, 1999 -- An explosive device containing 500 grams of TNT was found in the prayer hall of the Bolshaya Bronnaya Synagogue. It was successfully defused.
- April 2003 -- An explosive device was found and defused outside the Bolshaya Bronnaya Synagogue.
We welcome your feedback.
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.
Terms of Service
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.