April 8, 2008 | 7:20 pm
Posted by Brad A. Greenberg
Not pleased by the credence given to recent statement by five Jewish student leaders that UC Irvine’s administration is not to blame for the campus’ anti-Semitic atmosphere, the Red County blog took issue with a recent report in the OC Register (there was another last year) stating all is well—which we know that, at least when students are calling for the destruction of Israel, it is not. Here is the treatment Red County says a Jewish student could to face.
1. The desecration of Israeli flags with swastikas and blood stains.
2. Intimidation and abuse while practicing student journalism and protest during Muslim Student Union events. This has included the use photo capture of the faces of Jewish or pro-Israeli students for the use of future intimidation; pushing, shoving, and shouting in the faces of Jewish or pro-Israeli students; and assault with hurtful objects such as rocks by Muslim Student Union Members.
3. Muslim speakers who express their desire for Israel to be wiped off the map.
4. Muslim speakers who express their hatred towards Jews involved in politics.
5. Muslim speakers who blame Jews on undesirable social conditions.
6. Muslim speakers who tell Jews to get out of their ghettos.
7. Muslim speakers who boast that Jews are afraid to get on buses in Israel out of fear of the “freedom fighters” who strap bombs to their bodies.
8. Muslim speakers who assert that “Jews are the new Nazis.”
9. Depictions of Jews with hooked noses in exhibits.
10. Plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty meant to demonize Jews.
11. The intimidation of Jewish and pro-Israeli speakers by members of the Muslim Student Union.
12. Programs hosted by the Muslim Student Union titled: “Holocaust in the Holyland,” “Genocide in Gaza,” and “Israel: The 4th Reich.”
13. Posters on campus suggesting that Israeli soldiers target Arab children to shoot on sight.
To be sure, the students’ press release did not state anti-Semitism was a myth at UCI. What it said was, despite the visits by Amir Abdel Malik Ali and Mohammed Al-Asi, pro-Israel students feel safe and Jewish life is thriving. This was a point three of the signatories emphasized to me at the Hillel Summit in Washington that ended the day they issued the release—the same Hillel event at which UCI Chancellor Michael Drake was cornered by ZOA’s Mort Klein, whose question—roughly, “Why don’t you condemn the anti-Semitic speakers who come to your campus”—Drake is responding to below.
We welcome your feedback.
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.
12.5.13 at 7:11 am | In some of the most astounding news I've heard. . .
12.3.13 at 7:11 am | The Supreme Court granted certiorari in ...
11.25.13 at 8:55 am | Judge Crabb ruled that the clergy housing. . .
11.23.13 at 7:46 pm | A time-lapse starting with Hinduism in 5,000 BC. . .
11.16.13 at 10:41 am | His kebab cafe on hard times, Zablon Simintov. . .
11.4.13 at 8:04 pm | The all-time leader in games played among ...
12.3.13 at 7:11 am | The Supreme Court granted certiorari in ... (199)
11.23.13 at 7:46 pm | A time-lapse starting with Hinduism in 5,000 BC. . . (183)
12.5.13 at 7:11 am | In some of the most astounding news I've heard. . . (132)