February 16, 2012
Best Jewish Sports Characters
Ready for the Oscars? Today TGR looks at the Top 10 Jews to play a character/athlete in sports film. Some great films and characters to be considered, but we chose our favorites. On the side their will be a poll to vote for the number Jewish actor to play an athlete in a film.
Honorable mentions go to Jon Favreau as D-Bob in Rudy, Daniel Stern as Brickma in Rookie of the Year, and Rhea Perlman as Coach Phyllis Saroka in Sunset Park. Also big shout outs to two Jewish athletes who appear in movies. Bill Goldberg for is roles in Ready to Rumble and The Longest Yard and Kevin Youkilis for his role in Milk Money. And Jon Voight who is not Jewish but a huge fan of Israel for his role in Varsity Blues as Coach Bud Kilmer.
10) Randy “Macho Man” Savage as Bone Saw McGraw - Spiderman
9) Daniel Stern as Cyril - Breaking Away
8) Adam Sandler as Bobby Boucher Jr. - Waterboy
7) Shaun Weiss as Goldberg - Mighty Ducks 1-3
6) Charlie Sheen as Oscar “Hap” Felsch - Eight Men Out
5) Emilio Estevez as Coach Gordon Bombay - Might Ducks 1-3
4) Adam Sandler as Happy Gilmore - Happy Gilmore
3) Walter Matthau as Coach Morris Buttermaker - Bad News Bears
2) Rodney Dangerfield as Al Czervik - Caddyshack
1) Charlie Sheen as Rick “Wild Thing” Vaughn - Major League 1 & 2
Enjoy the Oscars and if you haven’t seen these movies, check them out!
And Let Us Say…Amen.
- Jeremy Fine