May 15, 2012 | 8:48 am
Posted by Jeremy Fine
More than Jewish players have been making news (at least good news) the Jewish owners have emerged. TGR thought it would look at the top Jewish owners in Sports (the 3 majors sports…would’ve included the NHL but we do not have confirmation on Jeremy Jacobs or Stu Siegel). We might be missing some so feel free to help us out.
1. Dan Snyder - Washington Redskins - Snyder has tried to make moves over the years but most have bombed. But now he has RGIII, this could be the right move has has coveted for so long.
2. Jeffrey Laurie - Philadelphia Eagles - Well the Dream Team never lived up to the hype (at least in year one). The Eagles still have a solid team led by Michael Vick. During Laurie’s tenure the team has competed and been looked at as a team willing to make moves to win.
3. Stuart Sternberg - Tampa Bay Rays - Sternberg is the principal shareholder in the team. More importantly he has created not only a team, but a culture of winning in a division with the big boys. For the last five years he has given the Yankees and Red Sox all the can handle and often coming out on top.
4. Dan Gilbert - Cleveland Cavilers - Gilbert makes the list because of how much pride he has in his team. He hated, not just for himself but for his city, when Lebron abandoned the city. Gilbert has made it his personal mission to overcome that loss. Great start by drafting Kyrie Irving, a star in the making.
5. Lerner Family - Washington Nationals - It has taken some time but the Nationals are a force to reckon with. Jayson Werth’s will hurt them, but how can you not be psyched about Bryce Harper. Kid’s got game.
6. Zygi Wilf - Minnesota Vikings - Sure the Vikings were not so great this past year, but anyone else read about Wilf’s desire and will to keep the Vikings in Minnesota. I would want to play for an owner like that.
7. Jerry Reinsdorf - Chicago Bulls/White Sox - Reinsdrof owns two major sports teams. He has 7 championships (6 with the Bulls and 1 with the White Sox). The Sox have made major moves almost every offseason over the last 10 years, not always panning out. The Bulls should have been title contenders this year but…well…that whole Derrick Rose injury you might have heard about.
8. Micky Arison - Miami Heat - I hate that he is on this list. But we need to give credit where credit is due. Last year he inked Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, and LeBron James. They are still playing and winning.
9. Mark Cuban - Dallas Mavericks - No owner in sports care about their team more. Cuban would do anything to win. He will go after Deron Williams this offseason and he will go after him hard. Cuban is a fans owner, that’s why we love him.
10. Robert Kraft - New England Patriots - If no owner cares more about their team than Cuban, well no team cares more about their owner than the Pats do for Robert Kraft. Kraft has put the people in place for the Pats to always be contenders. Oh yeah, and he has Tom Brady.
And Let Us Say…Amen.
- Jeremy Fine
We welcome your feedback.
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.
8.25.13 at 7:26 am | One of the toughest women you will ever. . .
7.9.13 at 6:50 am | TheGreatRabbino.com went out and got a hold of AJ. . .
4.8.13 at 8:17 am | On the eve of another end to March Madness, TGR. . .
3.4.13 at 1:40 pm | Meet Stanford OLineman - @TheGreatRabbino
1.31.13 at 11:50 am | The man behind Jewish High School Basketball.. . .
1.17.13 at 7:21 am | Welcoming the Bears New Head Coach Marc Trestman. . .