January 24, 2012 | 9:01 pm
Posted by Sima Cohen
Processed foods are POISON. Don’t believe me? Here’s the proof:
1. Ever heard of castoreum? It’s used to enhance the flavor of puddings, candies, and some frozen dairy desserts. It’s also derived from beaver anal glands.
2. The food coloring known as “Carmine” that gives many processed foods their reddish hue is made of ground-up insect shells. It’s also been known to cause severe allergic reactions in some people.
3. Your risk of E. coli goes WAY up, the more cheap ground meat that’s in a single beef patty. Fast food burgers contain the miscellaneous parts of dozens of cows raised all over the world.
4. UCLA did a study on how processed foods affect the brain, and discovered that it only takes TWO months of eating a steady processed food diet to lower the levels of brain chemicals that are responsible for learning and memory. Maybe that’s why you forgot after only a week that McDonald’s doesn’t actually taste that good.
5. Last year, Kellogg’s recalled 28 million boxes of cereal because a compound in the box lining was giving off a foul smell and tainting the taste of the food. They refuse to release the name of the compound.
6. The company that makes airport metal detectors also sells them to food manufacturers… to test processed meats for stray wires, metal shards, and hypodermic needles.
7. Ever had strawberry fruit roll-ups or given them to your kids? Did you notice that the ingredients list doesn’t contain any strawberries?
8. The food that our factory-farmed cows eat contains roadkill, and euthanized cats and dogs. We, Americans, eat those cows to the tune of millions a year.
9. Oscar Meyer Breaded Chicken and Mozzarella sandwiches contain more than 80 ingredients. You could make the exact same meal at home with less than 10.
10. Our friends at the FDA allow 74 mites and 19 maggots in a single can of mushrooms.
Peace and REAL food,
We welcome your feedback.
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.
7.4.13 at 12:18 pm | Summer’s here! Indulge your cravings without. . .
7.2.13 at 6:18 pm | When summer comes, our bodies naturally crave. . .
6.30.13 at 11:27 am | Q: Chia seeds or Flax seeds? A: Both are. . .
6.26.13 at 6:16 pm | First of all, congratulations to Kim and Kanye on. . .
6.24.13 at 5:22 pm | You don’t have to train like an athlete to get. . .
6.21.13 at 11:09 am | Your glutes are the largest and strongest muscles. . .