Eli Lake of the Daily Beast investigates why the possible next secretary of defense has riled so many Israel supporters.
While the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) never takes formal positions on nominees, if the group is asked by senators for its view on Hagel, it’s unlikely AIPAC will have a kind word. A senior pro-Israel advocate in Washington told The Daily Beast on Thursday, “The pro-Israel community will view the nomination of Senator Chuck Hagel in an extremely negative light. His record is unique in its animus towards Israel.”
Jacob Heilbrunn of the National Interest looks at the causes of the recent tensions between Jerusalem and Berlin.
Germany is increasingly irked by the adamant refusal of Netanyahu to engage in serious engotiations with the Palestinians. Merkel is influenced by former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak's insistence that Israel needs to treat with the Palestinian leadership... With Netanyahu's decision to proceed, or threaten to proceed, with the E-1 construction of seeral thousand new settlements east of Jerusalem—a move that would effectively abolish a two-state solution—he is raising diplomatic hackles across Europe.
- Times of Israel: Meretz petitions court to force Netanyahu to fire Liberman
- Haaretz: High Court orders state to find alternative to separation fence at West Bank village
- Jerusalem Post: 'Israel and 1938 Czechoslovakia are similar'
- Ynet: Reuters says IDF soldiers beat its cameramen in Hebron
- New York Times: Egypt’s Flawed Constitutional Vote
- Washington Post: Chuck Hagel’s ambiguous stance on dealing with Iran
- Wall Street Journal: U.S. to Deploy Patriots, Troops to Turkey
We welcome your feedback.
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.
Terms of Service
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.