Aaron David Miller of Foreign Policy offers President Obama some tips on dealing with the Mideast in his second term.
Let's face it: You don't have much credibility with Netanyahu. If you want any progress, you're going to have to figure out a way to create a relationship with him. In any event, think small for now. Do what you can to keep the Egyptian-Israeli peace treaty afloat. Push international donors to keep the Palestinian Authority in the black. Press hard on keeping Israeli-Palestinian security cooperation up and running. Push the Israelis to end restrictions on movement and economy opportunities for Palestinians. And, if there's a way to encourage quiet discussion on the least contentious final-status issues like territory and security, try that too.
Der Spiegel examines whether the German intelligence service's use of informants has actually strengthened the country's far-right groups.
Four parliamentary committees of inquiry are currently dissecting the work of law enforcement units, and four department heads have already resigned. The government's failures in fighting right-wing terrorists have plunged the domestic intelligence service into the worst crisis since it was established. It was set up in postwar Germany to identify and stop the spread of precisely the kind of extremist thinking that allowed the Nazis to rise to power in the 1930s. The discovery of the NSU and its crimes, however, has shaken the system to its core.
- Times of Israel: What’s the point in voting, growing number of Israeli Arabs ask
- Haaretz: Peres: Iran's quest for nuclear arms heralds another Holocaust
- Jerusalem Post: Israelis pols in war of words over Netanyahu support for Romney
- Ynet: French President: Netanyahu turned Toulouse memorial into election rally
- New York Times: Netanyahu Rushes to Repair Damage With Obama
- Washington Post: Iranian ministry suggests openness to nuclear talks
- Wall Street Journal: Turkey Set to Ask NATO for Patriot Missiles for Syria Border
Check out Rosner's new book, The Jewish Vote: Obama vs. Romney / A Jewish Voter's Guide