April 18, 2012 | 11:52 am
Take a quick look at the following two tables from PEW’s recent report on the politics of Election 2012. These are the topics voters think are important by order:
And these are the same priorities divided by party:
Note these things:
1. While voters preferring Obama say they care about foreign policy more than Romney-leaning voters (+6%), all of the issues Obama voters really care most about are domestic issues.
2. Weirdly, while Obama-leaning voters say they care about foreign policy, Democratic voters are the least interested in foreign policy. Forty-nine percent of Democrats list this topic as “very important” compared to 58% of Republicans (and 50% of Independents).
3. Foreign policy aside, those who care much more (+14%) about Iran would vote for Romney.
4. But the real gap on Iran is not between Republicans and Democrats. He least interested group is Independents (43%, compared to 56% of Republicans and 47% of Democrats).
5. In fact, Iran is the only significant “foreign” and “security-related” topic on which there’s a meaningful gap between Obama-leaning and Romney-leaning voters. Terrorism, as the pollsters of PEW report, “has declined in importance as a voting issue… As recently as August 2010, 79% of Republicans and 71% of independents said the issue of terrorism would be very important to their vote in that fall’s midterm election. Today, 66% of Republicans and 52% of independents rate terrorism as very important. Democrats also view terrorism as somewhat less important than in previous campaigns (60% today, 68% in 2010).
12.18.13 at 8:13 am | According to recent polls, the parties that form. . .
12.18.13 at 4:01 am | We bring you a daily round-up of the interesting. . .
12.17.13 at 7:58 am | A few more comments on the Swarthmore-Hillel. . .
12.17.13 at 4:06 am | Headlines & Reads: ASA Approves Israel Boycott. . .
12.16.13 at 8:07 am | Can you really blame a Middle Eastern government. . .
12.16.13 at 4:10 am | Headlines & Reads: Death Toll Rises in Syria. . .
12.12.13 at 8:05 am | Does Hillel really have to let BDS supporters to. . . (884)
12.16.13 at 8:07 am | Can you really blame a Middle Eastern government. . . (505)
12.11.13 at 7:28 am | The first part of an exchange with Dr. Howard. . . (219)
We welcome your feedback.
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.
Jewish Ideas Daily
NY Jewish Week
Public Policy Polling
Sabato’s Crystal Ball
The Cook Report
The Jewish Channel
The Jewish Forward
The Monkey Cage
The Washington Institute for NE Policy
Walter Russell Mead