Quantcast

Jewish Journal

Diplomat’s removal not due to threats, State Dept. says

JTA

May 31, 2011 | 3:41 pm

The U.S. State Department denied that the removal of one of its diplomats from Bahrain was due to threats.

Ludovic Hood, a human rights officer, left Bahrain on May 26 following two months of threats, including Internet photos of Hood’s wife and information on where he and his family lived, McClatchy Newspapers reported Tuesday.

An online post referred to Hood as “a person of Jewish origin” and another referenced his “Jewish wife.” Hood is not believed to be Jewish, although his wife is, according to McClatchy.

Despite reports, Harry Edwards, a press officer at the State Department, said Hood’s departure and return to Washington had been in the works for several months and was not due to the threats.

“Ludovic Hood’s departure from Bahrain was routine,” Edwards said. “He was not recalled to Washington, his posting was approved here more than six months ago as part of a normal assignment.”

{--Tracker Pixel for Entry--}

COMMENTS

We welcome your feedback.

Privacy Policy
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.

Terms of Service
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.

Publication
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.

ADVERTISEMENT
PUT YOUR AD HERE