My favorite thing to do is ask people “What is the secret to your marriage?” Especially those who have been married thirty plus years. Here are the top ten answers I’ve gotten over the years:
1) “We just didn’t die”- Meir Lazarus, married 75 years
2) “I pretend she is perfect, it works”
3) “I love her with all my heart. I’d die for her”
4) “We compromise. Well, I do at least” (this was said by a husband married for 35 years)
5) He says: “We communicate.” She says “No we don’t”
6) “The secret to marriage is not about happiness- It’s about commitment. That’s all I have to say about that.”
7) “Sex. That and getting a maid.”
8) “Buying my wife whatever she wants.”
9) “Eating dinner together.”
10) “Never going to bed angry.” (To which I asked- “You never go to bed angry?” and this husband married thirty five years had answered- “Oh I didn’t say that, but you should really try not to.” )
Feel free to share your own secrets to a good marriage.
We welcome your feedback.
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.
Terms of Service
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.