This is my morning crack. I decided to eliminate coffee once and for all when I realized that it actually didn’t wake me up. In fact, if I ended up drinking too much in the morning I would find myself lightheaded and needing to go right back to bed.
Now that said, most of you would never forgo your morning cup of joe. I’ve debated making this spiel about the benefits of ridding coffee from your morning routine as it’s an expensive addiction nowadays, but the fact is I do not have it in me to fight that battle. Be a coffee addict; it won’t kill you. (Although the pesticides coffee is grown with, the acidic stomach it creates and all the sh*# you put in it might do so.) I, however, am not about to take on the world’s largest addiction, not with my little tirade, not with my simple spiel. I know better than to take on addicts. Roberto and Lisa - thanks for the lesson!
Plus I must admit: I love a good strong cup of black coffee.
Dragonfly Green Tea, however, will make you happy. Don’t tell me coffee makes you happy. Go to any hipster neighborhood where they drink coffee all day long. Hooded sweatshirts covering sunken eyes. Miserable-looking might be the new cool, but it is not the new happy.
Green tea has been shown to release neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin. With a double dose of green tea from the matcha powder and the tea bag, don’t be surprised if you immediately feel better, calmer and more alert after just a few sips. The toasted rice in the genmaicha along with the raw honey takes it right over the edge of hot beverage ecstasy.
Prepare for another addiction.
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon Matcha Green Tea Powder* (available in my specialty food shop, at your local Japanese grocer, Whole Foods/health food store or online at matchasource.com**)
- 1 Green GenMaicha tea bag (green tea with toasted rice)*
- 1 teaspoon raw honey*
- hot water
- Liquid Stevia drops (optional)
Easy Quick Version
- Add matcha powder, honey and tea bag to mug or tall glass.
- Add hot water.
- Stir and drink.
Version for Less Lazy People (not me)
- Add matcha powder to mug or tall glass.
- Add a finger of hot water and stir well (preferably with a matcha whisk) until much of powder is dissolved.
- Add honey, tea bag and rest of powder.
Lower Caloric Version
- Add matcha powder, tea bag and a ½ teaspoon of honey to mug or tall glass.
- Add hot water.
- Add stevia drops to taste. (Yes, I’ve tried with only stevia and no honey but it’s not good.)
**MatchaSource (www.matchasource.com) was founded by my friend and entrepreneurial mentor Alissa White and delivers top quality matcha to your doorstep. Also makes wonderful gifts. Use coupon code "HEALTHYCHA" for 10% off first orders.
Want to take cooking classes with Elana? Go to MealandaSpiel.com.
We welcome your feedback.
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.
Terms of Service
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.