One Thing I Know For Sure...
I know that Oprah has been the nation's therapist, ultimate gift giver, inspiration, and teacher of best lives for so many, but for me, it's Aunt Ruth! (All right, so I also like Oprah and so does Aunt Ruth.)
Aunt Ruth and I were sitting in her living room talking about the usual topics ranging from the economy to her current discovery that cutting up those small cucumbers and putting them into a jar of leftover pickle juice makes some swell snacks! I found myself asking, "Aunt Ruth, what do you know for sure?"
Without hesitation, she said:
1. Time doesn't ask if you want more time. It keeps going on like a river, so you better take advantage of it!
2. I know for sure that I have many good friends. They are vital to my life, and I have had many of the same friends since I was three.
Then, there was a pause....and she said:
3. I know for sure that getting old is very hard to accept. When I was young, I never thought I'd get old. I know for sure that I have had to accept being old, otherwise I would turn into a miserable old lady, and there are already enough of them!
4. I know for sure that you have to like to eat to be a good cook. You must taste while you cook to know if what you're making is any good.
5. I know for sure that being an aunt is easier than being a parent. I don't have any responsibility as an aunt.
6. I know for sure that being a wife means being truthful.
7. I know for sure that to be a good sister you must love each other, but even more important, you must respect and help each other. I adored my older sister, and I miss her every day.
We sat in silence for a while, and she smiled and said,
"Honey, what I know for sure is that love is the most important thing in your life. It is the greatest gift."
If you have a question or comment, please leave it here!
We welcome your feedback.
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.
Terms of Service
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.