One Thing I Know For Sure...
I know that Oprah has been the nation's therapist, ultimate gift giver, inspiration, and teacher of best lives for so many, but for me, it's Aunt Ruth! (All right, so I also like Oprah and so does Aunt Ruth.)
Aunt Ruth and I were sitting in her living room talking about the usual topics ranging from the economy to her current discovery that cutting up those small cucumbers and putting them into a jar of leftover pickle juice makes some swell snacks! I found myself asking, "Aunt Ruth, what do you know for sure?"
Without hesitation, she said:
1. Time doesn't ask if you want more time. It keeps going on like a river, so you better take advantage of it!
2. I know for sure that I have many good friends. They are vital to my life, and I have had many of the same friends since I was three.
Then, there was a pause....and she said:
3. I know for sure that getting old is very hard to accept. When I was young, I never thought I'd get old. I know for sure that I have had to accept being old, otherwise I would turn into a miserable old lady, and there are already enough of them!
4. I know for sure that you have to like to eat to be a good cook. You must taste while you cook to know if what you're making is any good.
5. I know for sure that being an aunt is easier than being a parent. I don't have any responsibility as an aunt.
6. I know for sure that being a wife means being truthful.
7. I know for sure that to be a good sister you must love each other, but even more important, you must respect and help each other. I adored my older sister, and I miss her every day.
We sat in silence for a while, and she smiled and said,
"Honey, what I know for sure is that love is the most important thing in your life. It is the greatest gift."
If you have a question or comment, please leave it here!