5. Aretha Franklin responding to the tribute she received from Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Hudson, Martina McBride, Florence Welch and Yolanda Adams. She looked good, like she is not going down but is beating the illness. Go Aretha!
4. The Underdogs Triumph. Esperanza Spalding wins Best New Artist, beating out the Bieber, and Drake. Crossover country group Lady Antebellum takes 5 awards including Record of the Year and Song of the Year. And Arcade Fire wins Album of the Year for the Suburbs, beating out Lady Gaga, Eminem, and Katy Perry. Awesome to see talent trump popularity! Now I hear Bieber fans are hating on Esperanza, but they shouldn’t. She may not be famous yet, but she is a remarkable talent and deserves her award. I’m sure Justin would agree with me.
3. Mick Jagger at 67 owning the stage! He rocked “Everybody Needs Somebody to Love,” like he was 20 years old. It was totally awesome. I was dancing round my living room trying to keep up. I couldn’t. I mean we have no excuses, now, none of us!
2. Bob Dylan… Need I say more?
And the number one most inspiring moment for me:
1. Lady Gaga’s acceptance speech for Best Female Pop Vocal, “I wanted to thank Whitney Houston because when I wrote “Born This Way,” I imagined she was singing it – because I wasn’t secure enough in myself to imagine I was a superstar.” Now can you imagine Gaga not being secure in herself, or doubting herself? This is inspiration enough for all of us for the rest of the year. Thank you Gaga!