On Sukkot we build outdoor huts. We live in them for only seven days and then we go back into our warm, sturdy houses. But there are many people out there without a home.
Habitat for Humanity builds houses for families so that they can have a home. Here's some ideas of things you can do to be a part of this amazing program:\n
• Put on a fundraiser with your class, and with the money you raise you can buy construction supplies and bring them to the site.\n
• You can build flower boxes to present to the families on the day they move into their new houses.
Power of Four
We bring four plants into our sukkah/house.
These plants are said to represent different parts of the body.
Little House in the Sukkah
It's time to build a house. Make your own gourd birdhouse:\n
• Buy a dried-out gourd.\n
• Use a drill to make a large round hole in the gourd. You may also need a very small a saw to help create the hole.\n
• Drill a smaller hole below the larger hole. Then insert a piece of stick into the small hole to make a perch.\n
• Drill a hole through the top of the gourd and insert a hanger through the hole on top so you can hang it.\n
• Decorate with paints or markers and hang it outside of your sukkah.