December 2, 2009 | 1:40 pm
Posted by Ilana Angel
It really is quite interesting how much sex is a part of our daily lives. If we pay attention we see that it is something people talk about, think about or joke about, a lot. In the last 36 hours these are the conversations I have had about sex:
1) My son and I talked about sex and while I won’t go into any details, it was a great talk. He is a teenager and that he comes to me to talk about sex and ask questions makes me happy and proud. Uncomfortable on occasion, but mostly happy and proud.
2) A friend of mine had sex with a guy she has been dating for a few weeks and she is tormented, as women are, about whether it was the right time, what would he think of her and what did it mean for their relationship. Having sex with someone new for the first time is a big deal for women and for men it’s just another activity like watching the game or washing the car.
3) I had my regular visit to the gynecologist and it was the standard rapid fire set of questions about my body and my sex life which ended with the Doctor giving me her “Don’t worry you’ll meet someone great soon” head tilted look, which by the way is more uncomfortable than the actual exam.
4) I have been on 2 dates with a man named “Jim” and we were talking on the phone trying to figure out when we would be able to go out again when he asked me when I was planning to have sex with him and if we could fast track it because he “really needed to get laid”. Charming.
5) I watched the Victoria’s Secret fashion show and though chicks aren’t my thing, I appreciate a woman’s body and these women were stunning and I found myself thinking about what it would be like to have a body like that for just a week and what I would do with it and with whom.
6) For the past 10 years I have had a friendship and flirtation with a man I met in Seattle on business. He is charming, funny, handsome, Jewish, a fabulous dad and a genuinely good guy. He is lovely and I’m thinking it might be time for a trip to Seattle for a grown up weekend with a grown up man who I like and respect. Maybe the key to having a tryst is to do it with someone far away so there is no chance for a relationship so it can’t mess with your head because it’s just a great thing with a great guy.
7) A girlfriend of mine who has been married for 20 years and is in a seemingly happy relationship told me that she has not had sex with her husband for almost a year and was thinking of surprising him with sex for his birthday. I could make a joke on this one but the shock prevents me from even trying. No sex for a year is not a successful marriage if you ask me. I’m just saying.
For the next 24 hours keep sex in the front of your mind and I think you will be surprised by how prevalent it is in your daily exchanges. At the end of the day it turns out sex is not something that we need to save for the end of the day. Be safe, free, wild, intimate, aware and always keep the faith.
5.24.13 at 7:07 am | Burning myself has shown me I am burning out.
5.23.13 at 3:17 pm | Dating, divorce, death, and marriage, all require. . .
5.22.13 at 6:34 am | I am forever touched by this young man.
5.19.13 at 5:43 pm | JDate should be more of a mensch.
5.17.13 at 5:27 pm | I am never going on another coffee date.
5.14.13 at 4:36 pm | Love needs a kick in the ass.
5.23.13 at 3:17 pm | Dating, divorce, death, and marriage, all require. . . (367)
5.19.13 at 5:43 pm | JDate should be more of a mensch. (361)
5.14.13 at 4:36 pm | Love needs a kick in the ass. (268)
We welcome your feedback.
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.