• Why I have not yet vaccinated my daughter

By Mark Paredes

2 weeks ago

It looks like The Atlantic is the latest media outlet to bash parents who choose not to follow the most aggressive vaccine regimen in the world. My wife and I have chosen not to vaccinate our 11-month-old daughter, though we may change our minds when she heads off to school. We... read on

• Texting during worship services? How rabbis inspired my new policy

By Mark Paredes

September 6, 2014 | 12:35 am

A presentation that I made last week to my congregation was inspired by a common practice in many synagogues that I have visited. The most sacred Mormon meeting is the sacrament meeting, held once a week on Sundays. The 70-minute meeting features three hymns, an opening and closing... read on

• Why Mormons can’t be anti-Zionists

By Mark Paredes

August 25, 2014 | 12:10 am

After reading Ray Filar’s inane, vapid essay on why she is an “anti-Zionist Jew,” I googled the phrase “anti-Zionist Mormon” to see whether one of my coreligionists had published a similar piece. Although there are slightly more Mormons than Jews in the world, I was pleased –... read on

• Anti-Jewish Comments in the Book of Mormon? Why Nephi’s Got Nothing on Jeremiah

By Mark Paredes

August 11, 2014 | 10:27 pm

Yesterday a local Mormon leader asked me a rather common question posed by Mormons seeking to discuss their faith with Jewish friends and colleagues. He has a Jewish coworker who has expressed the desire to read the Book of Mormon in order to better understand his Mormon friends’... read on

• Why Thinking Mormons (and Jews) Support Israel in Gaza

By Mark Paredes

July 28, 2014 | 12:45 am

The Israel-Hamas conflict in the Gaza strip has caused my email inbox to fill up, most recently from an old Mormon friend who is a libertarian-leaning conservative. He is baffled as to why a few of his fellow LDS libertarians would have harsh things to say about Israel.

As I have... read on

• Jews and Mormons Meet for Dead Sea Scrolls Lecture in Los Angeles

By Mark Paredes

July 14, 2014 | 10:31 pm

Parenting a 9-month-old girl doesn't leave my wife and me much time to attend Jewish events, but we knew we had to make it to the LDS Visitors Center in Los Angeles last month to hear BYU professor Donald Parry deliver yet another fascinating presentation on the Dead Sea Scrolls.... read on

• Why was a Mormon feminist excommunicated?

By Mark Paredes

June 24, 2014 | 10:41 pm

Excommunication is no longer a Jewish practice, though I could certainly come up with a few candidates if it were ever restored. It is, however, a last resort for Mormon leaders who are faced with public apostates in their congregations. Immediately after learning yesterday that... read on

1 2 3 > VIEW LAST PAGE