• Why Mormons can’t be anti-Zionists

By Mark Paredes

3 weeks ago

After reading Ray Filar’s inane, vapid essay on why she is an “anti-Zionist Jew,” I googled the phrase “anti-Zionist Mormon” to see whether one of my coreligionists had published a similar piece. Although there are slightly more Mormons than Jews in the world, I was pleased –... read on

• Anti-Jewish Comments in the Book of Mormon? Why Nephi’s Got Nothing on Jeremiah

By Mark Paredes

August 11, 2014 | 10:27 pm

Yesterday a local Mormon leader asked me a rather common question posed by Mormons seeking to discuss their faith with Jewish friends and colleagues. He has a Jewish coworker who has expressed the desire to read the Book of Mormon in order to better understand his Mormon friends’... read on

• Why Thinking Mormons (and Jews) Support Israel in Gaza

By Mark Paredes

July 28, 2014 | 12:45 am

The Israel-Hamas conflict in the Gaza strip has caused my email inbox to fill up, most recently from an old Mormon friend who is a libertarian-leaning conservative. He is baffled as to why a few of his fellow LDS libertarians would have harsh things to say about Israel.

As I have... read on

• Jews and Mormons Meet for Dead Sea Scrolls Lecture in Los Angeles

By Mark Paredes

July 14, 2014 | 10:31 pm

Parenting a 9-month-old girl doesn't leave my wife and me much time to attend Jewish events, but we knew we had to make it to the LDS Visitors Center in Los Angeles last month to hear BYU professor Donald Parry deliver yet another fascinating presentation on the Dead Sea Scrolls.... read on

• Why was a Mormon feminist excommunicated?

By Mark Paredes

June 24, 2014 | 10:41 pm

Excommunication is no longer a Jewish practice, though I could certainly come up with a few candidates if it were ever restored. It is, however, a last resort for Mormon leaders who are faced with public apostates in their congregations. Immediately after learning yesterday that... read on

• Yair Rosenberg’s profile of me for Tablet magazine

By Mark Paredes

June 20, 2014 | 10:38 pm

Yair Rosenberg has written an excellent profile of my interfaith work for Tablet, a daily online magazine of Jewish news. We met at a presentation I made on LDS-Jewish relations at Harvard, and I've continued to follow his successful career in journalism. It's an honor to know Yair, and I greatly appreciate his efforts to promote interfaith understanding. Shabbat shalom to all of my Jewish readers.

www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and-religion/176375/mormon-activist-paredes#comments

• My First Father’s Day as a Dad

By Mark Paredes

June 15, 2014 | 10:50 pm

I waited more than four decades to become a father, and today was my first Father’s Day as a parent. It was definitely the most meaningful holiday of my life. During today’s sacrament meeting – the main LDS worship service – I had four new fathers give short talks on what being a... read on

1 2 3 > VIEW LAST PAGE