If you are like me, clutter can become a staple in your home if you are not on top of it, and it makes cleaning that much harder when there is so much stuff around. So instead of throwing it all away (which I often feel like doing), organize it. Sounds simple enough right? But we all know it is not.
I am always on the lookout for great pointers and quick tips on organizing. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I’m a Virgo and we have the need to organize, (or as others call it, control things). I like to call it organizing. I have found these fifteen tips for organizing, cleaning and just something to do with those household items you have laying around. (Taken from the latest issue of Good Housekeeping and Real Simple and some ideas just passed on from friends.)
1) Use an empty tissue box to store plastic shopping bags in. (I love this one, even though I try not to get plastic bags from the market too often. They seem to collect. This has been a great way to organize them and reuse. Now I just store it in a top drawer in my kitchen.)
2) Taking necklaces on a trip? Lay them out on bubble wrap, roll up and tape closed. When you get to your destination, they will be tangle free.
3) Use a binder clip to display some of those unframed pictures you have laying around. Just place the picture in the clip and place on a table.
4) Use an ice cube tray to store your earrings, rings or small items in a drawer (not the freezer).
5) Rub an unused dryer sheet on bath tiles and glass shower doors to remove soap scum and rinse.
6) Having friends over for drinks and don’t want to lose track of who was drinking from which glass? Place removable window decals on each glass, so guests can remember which one was theirs.
7) To deodorize a lunchbox or thermos, ball up a piece of newspaper and place it inside the item overnight.
8) Line a fruit/vegetable drawer in the refrigerator with newspaper to keep it dry and free of smells.
9) Organize DVDs in a CD storage notebook (like Case Logic), recycle the actual DVD cases and save the insert, so that you can file it with the DVD and have an organized way of finding each DVD. (I did this with my son’s DVD collections and he can easily find what he wants to watch and puts them back after he is done. All the DVDs are in one place and organized.)
10) When you are painting doors, use aluminum foil to cover door handles. Remove after painting.
11) Use a drop of Olive Oil on a cotton swab to remove eye make up and rinse with a warm cloth.
12) Use baby wipes with Aloe and Vitamin E to remove make up. (Works great and less expensive than make up wipes. I have been using them since I have had baby wipes around.)
13) If a screw falls off your glasses, use an earring as a temporary fix with the backing as well.
14) Use shower curtain hooks to hand over your closet rod for belts and purses.
15) Have left over wine? Freeze it in an ice cube tray for later use in recipes or in juice or club soda for a quick “mixed” drink.
I haven’t tried all of these, so let me know what you think if you have put any of these to use. Any other ideas? Leave me a comment.