Israeli and Palestinian negotiators met in Jordan for the second time in a week.
The face-to-face meeting Monday was the result of a meeting last week in Amman with representatives of the Mideast Quartet.
No statements followed Monday’s meeting, also in Amman, after both sides agreed not to speak to the media about the sessions. The Jordanian Foreign Ministry is the only party authorized to discuss the talks, and it did not release a statement following the meeting.
Unnamed Palestinian sources told The New York Times and Israeli media that no progress was made in Monday’s talks, and that Israel did not offer any new proposals to jump-start the process.
Palestinian officials have said that the talks will not move forward unless Israel commits to a settlement construction freeze and agrees to the 1967 lines as the border of a Palestinian state. Israel has called for restarting negotiations with no preconditions.
Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman on Monday accused the Palestinians of “working to internationalize the conflict,” and that they were “dragged against their will” to Amman.
“Whoever talks about a ‘breakthrough’ with the Palestinians is clueless,” he reportedly said.
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said last week that if Israel does not meet his conditions, “we will take new measures.” He said the measures could be “difficult.”
We welcome your feedback.
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.
Terms of Service
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.