Two hunger-striking Palestinians in Israeli jails have been moved to an Israeli hospital in poor condition, their lawyer said.
Bilal Diab, 27, of Jenin, and Thaer Halahla, 33, of Hebron, are at risk of death, according to the Palestinian Ma’an news agency. Both have marked their 63rd day without food. Eight other prisoners also have been hospitalized.
Israel’s Supreme Court is set to hear an appeal against their detention without charge on Thursday, according to Ma’an.
A prisoner can be held in administrative detention, without charges being brought, for up to four months; it can also be renewed.
Some 1,400 Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails are on an open-ended hunger strike launched two weeks ago. The mass hunger strike is calling for an end to solitary confinement and isolation; for allowing families of prisoners from the Gaza Strip to visit their loved ones; and allowing prisoners to have newspapers, learning materials and specific television channels. It is also protesting administrative detention.
Israeli prisons commissioner Aharon Franco on Monday told Palestinian hunger strikers that he had named a panel to address the prisoners’ demands, according to Arab news sources.
More than 4,000 Palestinian prisoners are being held in Israeli jails, with some 320 in administrative detention.
Two high-profile hunger strikers were released earlier this year after cutting deals with Israeli authorities.
We welcome your feedback.
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.
Terms of Service
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.