Quantcast

Jewish Journal

Oh Lars, just shut it already!

by Danielle Berrin

September 20, 2011 | 5:48 pm

Once again Danish director Lars Von Trier is running his mouth and running amok.

According to JTA, Von Trier told GQ he was not sorry for the bizarro comments he uttered about Jews, Nazis and Israel at the Cannes Film Festival last May.

“I’m not sorry. I am not sorry for what I said,” he reportedly told GQ. “I’m sorry that it didn’t come out more clearly. I’m not sorry that I made a joke. But I’m sorry that I didn’t make it clear that it was a joke.”

As I wrote at the time, Von Trier’s statements sounded more like a thoughtless ramble than the feelings of an anti-Semite—for goodness sake, the director admitted he believed himself to be Jewish for quite a long time and that he had been “very happy being a Jew”. Just don’t get him started on Israel, which he called, “a pain in the ass.”

His recent clarification, which no doubt will be misconstrued (it’s already being called a “retraction”) strikes me as having the same tone as the statement he made after Cannes banned him from the festival: “I’m very proud of being persona non grata. I’ve never been that before in my life, and that suits me extremely well…I’m known for provocations.”

Indeed, which means, ignore.

Tracker Pixel for Entry

COMMENTS

We welcome your feedback.

Privacy Policy
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.

Terms of Service
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.

Publication
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.

ADVERTISEMENT
PUT YOUR AD HERE

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

{blog_image:alt}

Danielle Berrin writes the Hollywood Jew blog, a cutting edge, values-based take on the entertainment industry for jewishjournal.com. A Los Angeles Times profile dubbed her...

Read more