The Jewish Response to a Cheap Dress

By Dr. Afshine Emrani

1 hour ago

Only God knows what's in our hearts beneath the Tallit.

Did you see blue-and-black, or were you in the white-and-gold camp?  Was your family as polarized as mine?

I can't help it.  I am a Jewish doctor.  What seems to be a trivial, yet... read on

• Peanut Allergy:  Eat Peanuts Early Like Israelis?

By Dr. Afshine Emrani

3 days ago

Deadly peanut allergies are on the rise, not just in the United States but around the world.

Israeli children have lower rates of peanut allergy when compared to Jewish children of similar ancestry in the United Kingdom.  Israelis consider the popular peanut-flavored Bamba their... read on

• A Faceless World.

By Dr. Afshine Emrani

1 week ago

In the exam room, I sat holding her hand.  She stared into my eyes until I saw her inner child begging for love.  Her tears fell, as did mine, inside.  For a moment, I was her buoy in the rough seas of life.

You never forget the face of the person placing Godly responsibilities... read on

• Chronic Fatigue Syndrome’s New Name: It’s Not Your Imagination!

By Dr. Afshine Emrani

2 weeks ago

We all joke about it.  “I am a parent.  I am chronically fatigued, too.”

To patients, these comments are salt on an open wound.

This mysterious illness has been mocked by non-sufferers and physicians alike. The lack of simple medical tests, such as the blood tests used to... read on

• The Kotzker Rebbe: Angels, Miracles and Broken Hearts.

By Dr. Afshine Emrani

3 weeks ago

When The Kotzker Rebbe was five years old, he asked his father "Where is God?" to which his father answered "God is everywhere!" The young boy then corrected his father by saying "No, I think God is only where you let Him in."  This remarkable story was quoted by the late Rabbi... read on

• European Jews, Iranian Jews and Exodus.

By Dr. Afshine Emrani

January 28, 2015 | 11:26 am

In the darkness of escalating anti-Semitism, so much has been written on why European Jews should leave.

There is comfort in the familiar, even when abusive, even when painful.  It’s nearly impossible to understand the lure of wishing to stay oppressed.

Yet, Exodus is the story... read on

• The Many Roads to God.

By Dr. Afshine Emrani

January 23, 2015 | 10:18 am

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky." I often quote Rumi on how to reach God.

Yet, anyone who has gone around the sun a few times knows that there is no one answer to any of life’s difficult questions.

Trying to understand God, to use a crude analogy, is like the Hindu... read on

• My Father’s Story and Martin Luther King Jr.

By Dr. Afshine Emrani

January 19, 2015 | 7:46 am

My father was a mining engineer.  He lost his father at an early age and assumed the role of a father to his younger siblings and the bread winner to his family.  He climbed his way up to the highest level a Jew had ever achieved as an engineer in Iran.  He was trusted by the... read on

1 2 3 > VIEW LAST PAGE