October 14, 2009
$1 Million Warrant Issued for Iranian Jewish Man Wanted for Attempted Murder
When 49-year-old Adel Hakim, an Iranian Jewish resident of Beverly Hills, failed to appear at his Sept. 24 court appearance on charges of attempted murder of his brother last year, the judge in the case issued a $1 million warrant for his arrest. Beverly Hills Police Sergeant Michael Publicker said city police detectives have had no leads on Hakim’s whereabouts and are seeking the public’s assistance in bringing him to justice. “He’s committed a very violent crime, is wanted for attempted murder, and we believe him to be armed and extremely dangerous,” Publicker said. “If anyone comes in contact with him, we ask that they dial 911 immediately, or if they know his location, to call us.”
Police reports allege that on Feb. 20, 2008, Hakim sprayed his brother Alfred with pepper spray and then shot him numerous times in the back and head at his family home on the 400 block of N. Palm Drive in Beverly Hills. Lieutenant Tony Lee of the Beverly Hills Police Department said that while Alfred Hakim sustained life-threatening injuries, he survived and is now paralyzed. Last year, Beverly Hills police officials said that within two hours of the shooting incident, Hakim was identified as the suspect in the case and arrested by California Highway Patrol following a traffic accident he was involved in at an undisclosed location in the San Fernando Valley. In March of 2008, Adel Hakim was arraigned at a Superior Court in Beverly Hills, where he pleaded not guilty to a felony charge of first-degree attempted murder. Lee also said police have not released information regarding a motive for this shooting.
Individuals with information about Adel Hakim’s whereabouts are asked to contact Beverly Hills Detective John Czarnocki at (310) 288-2656.