Jewish Journal


May 10, 2011

L Visas - Intra-company transferees


Transferring to a U.S. company

The L visa allows a U.S. employer to transfer a manager or an executive from an affiliated foreign office to one of its U.S. offices.  The employer must be doing business in the U.S. and it must have an existing relationship with the foreign company (such as being a parent company, affiliate, subsidiary etc.).  Furthermore, the employee must have been working for the affiliated employer in the foreign country for at least one continuous year within the three years prior to being issued an L visa, and he/she must be going to the U.S. to render services as a manager/executive.  Employees will be granted an initial three-year L visa.

Example:  KPMG is an accounting company with offices in Canada and in the United States.  Sally is a Canadian citizen who has been working as a financial accounting director for KPMG in its Vancouver offices for the past four years.  She has accepted a position to work as a financial accounting director at KPMG in its New York office.  She is eligible to work in New York under an L visa.
Example:  Sally has only been working as a financial accounting director at KPMG in Vancouver for the past six months.  She is not eligible for an L visa to work in the New York office.  However, she may be eligible for a TN visa or an H-1B visa if, for example, she is a CPA or has at least a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field.

Setting up a U.S. affiliate company

The L visa also allows a foreign company that does not yet have an affiliated U.S. office to send a manager/executive to the United States for the purpose of setting one up.  To do so, the foreign company must demonstrate that: 1) sufficient physical premises to house the new office have been secured; 2) the employee has been employed as a manager/executive for one of the three previous years; and 3) the new U.S. offices will support an executive/managerial position within a year of the L visa being issued.  These employees will be granted an initial one-year L visa.  This is an ideal visa for foreign companies looking to expand to the United States and should be considered as an alternative to the E visa.

Family of L visa holders

Employees under an L visa are also allowed to bring their spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age to the U.S. under an L-2 classification for the same period of stay as the primary employee.  Spouses of L visa holders are allowed to work in the United States as well.

JewishJournal.com is produced by TRIBE Media Corp., a non-profit media company whose mission is to inform, connect and enlighten community
through independent journalism. TRIBE Media produces the 150,000-reader print weekly Jewish Journal in Los Angeles – the largest Jewish print
weekly in the West – and the monthly glossy Tribe magazine (TribeJournal.com). Please support us by clicking here.

© Copyright 2015 Tribe Media Corp.
All rights reserved. JewishJournal.com is hosted by Nexcess.net
Web Design & Development by Hop Studios 0.3136 / 49