Jewish Journal

Relief for Japanese citizens in the U.S.

by Cedric M. Shen

March 14, 2011 | 8:26 am

From the USCIS:

This advisory is for Japanese and other foreign nationals from the Pacific stranded in the United States due to the earthquakes and tsunami devastation in the Pacific. If you have exceeded or are about to exceed your authorized stay in the U.S. you may be permitted up to an additional 30 days to depart.

Visitors traveling under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP):

• If you are at an airport, contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection office at the airport.

• All others, please visit the local U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office. Visitors traveling under a nonimmigrant visa:

• Visit the local U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office. • Bring your passport, evidence that you are stranded (such as an itinerary for the

cancelled flight), and your I-94 departure record.

Tracker Pixel for Entry


We welcome your feedback.

Privacy Policy
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.

Terms of Service
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.

JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.




Cedric M. Shen is a Los Angeles-based immigration attorney experienced in helping foreign nationals enter the United States. His law practice focuses on employment-based green...

Read more.