Jewish Journal

U.S. citizenship

By Cedric M. Shen

July 5, 2011 | 6:29 pm

Foreign nationals must first have been a U.S. permanent resident for a certain period of time before being eligible for U.S. citizenship through naturalization. When a foreign citizen... read on

  • Canadians in the USA

    By Cedric M. Shen

    June 28, 2011 | 11:47 am

    A new resource site for Canadians living, studying, traveling, working or moving to the United States: www.CanadiansInUSA.com.

  • Family-based green cards

    By Cedric M. Shen

    June 21, 2011 | 6:25 pm

    Foreign nationals with relatives who are U.S. citizens may be able to obtain a green card if certain and specific relationships exist.  Different categories of relatives dictate whether, and how soon, you can get a green card.

    Immediate relatives

    One category is known as... read on

  • Employment-based green cards

    By Cedric M. Shen

    June 8, 2011 | 4:31 pm

    Foreign nationals who are working for a U.S. employer on a valid work visa may adjust their status to a permanent resident if the employer files an employment-based petition.  Employment-based petitions are divided into five categories:  EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, EB-4 and EB-5.  We will... read on

  • Obtaining Permanent Residency Through Marriage to a U.S. Citizen

    By Cedric M. Shen

    June 6, 2011 | 2:39 pm

    A foreign national who has married a U.S. citizen is generally entitled to apply for permanent residency.  This process is known as “adjustment of status,” and it requires the cooperation of both the U.S. citizen as well as the foreign national spouse.


    The U.S.... read on

  • H-1B odds and ends

    By Cedric M. Shen

    June 6, 2011 | 2:31 pm

    Graduate Degrees

    In addition to the annual 65,000 H-1B visas, Congress has allotted an additional 20,000 H-1B visas for people with advanced degrees (M.D., J.D., MBA, Ph.D. etc.).  So if you are a foreign national with a medical degree, law degree, or any other graduate degree, you... read on

  • K visa for fiancés

    By Cedric M. Shen

    May 23, 2011 | 9:38 am

    The K-1 visa is for the unmarried, foreign national fiancé of a U.S. citizen living abroad. This visa allows the foreign national fiancé to enter the United States in order to marry the U.S. citizen sponsor within ninety (90) days of arrival.  The foreign national may also bring... read on

  • L Visas - Intra-company transferees

    By Cedric M. Shen

    May 10, 2011 | 4:42 pm

    Transferring to a U.S. company

    The L visa allows a U.S. employer to transfer a manager or an executive from an affiliated foreign office to one of its U.S. offices.  The employer must be doing business in the U.S. and it must have an existing relationship with the foreign company... read on

Page 3 of 6

< 1 2 3 4 5 > VIEW LAST PAGE




Cedric M. Shen is a Los Angeles-based immigration attorney experienced in helping foreign nationals enter the United States. His law practice focuses on employment-based green...

Read more