Jewish Journal

Canadians in the USA

By Cedric M. Shen

June 28, 2011 | 11:47 am

A new resource site for Canadians living, studying, traveling, working or moving to the United States: www.CanadiansInUSA.com.

  • Family-based green cards

    By Cedric M. Shen

    June 21, 2011 | 6:25 pm

    Foreign nationals with relatives who are U.S. citizens may be able to obtain a green card if certain and specific relationships exist.  Different categories of relatives dictate whether, and how soon, you can get a green card.

    Immediate relatives

    One category is known as... read on

  • Employment-based green cards

    By Cedric M. Shen

    June 8, 2011 | 4:31 pm

    Foreign nationals who are working for a U.S. employer on a valid work visa may adjust their status to a permanent resident if the employer files an employment-based petition.  Employment-based petitions are divided into five categories:  EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, EB-4 and EB-5.  We will... read on

  • Obtaining Permanent Residency Through Marriage to a U.S. Citizen

    By Cedric M. Shen

    June 6, 2011 | 2:39 pm

    A foreign national who has married a U.S. citizen is generally entitled to apply for permanent residency.  This process is known as “adjustment of status,” and it requires the cooperation of both the U.S. citizen as well as the foreign national spouse.


    The U.S.... read on

  • H-1B odds and ends

    By Cedric M. Shen

    June 6, 2011 | 2:31 pm

    Graduate Degrees

    In addition to the annual 65,000 H-1B visas, Congress has allotted an additional 20,000 H-1B visas for people with advanced degrees (M.D., J.D., MBA, Ph.D. etc.).  So if you are a foreign national with a medical degree, law degree, or any other graduate degree, you... read on




Cedric M. Shen is a Los Angeles-based immigration attorney experienced in helping foreign nationals enter the United States. His law practice focuses on employment-based green...

Read more