September 21, 2011
Pop Quiz: Are You A True Bargainista?
These questions will test your thriftyhood. (Hint: the correct answer is always B.)
1. You are about to leave a restaurant, and there is still some bread left in the basket. You
A. Are not at all agonized by the thought that it will all be dumped into the garbage.
2. You see a quarter lying on the sidewalk. You
A. Walk on by without sullying your fingers.
3. You bring home a pound of potato salad from an overpriced deli. I’m not mentioning any names, but if I were, it would be Whole Foods. At dinner, you discover that the potatoes are sorely undercooked. You
4. Your friend is moving out of town, and offers you two huge boxes of kitchenware. You do not like or need any of it. You
5. The restaurant charges an extra $7.95 to add a salad buffet to your steak dinner. You and your husband
And I do mean “little.” Otherwise it’s stealing. This way it’s only stealing a teensky-weensky bit. I once got nailed – unfairly, I thought – for a similar attempt on an airplane. Benni had heroically offered me all his miles, so I was traveling First Class, and he was stuck in Coach. His only request was that I bring him a mimosa.
When the steward offered drinks, I felt it would be chintzy to ask for two, so I took only one and brought it back to Hubby. I was severely chastised by the attendant, who said that it was unfair for my spouse to receive a free drink when the people around him had to pay. I failed to see the logic of this one, but offered to bring back more drinks for Benni’s seat-mates. The attendant was not amused.