October 19, 2006
What’s your Jewish I.Q.?
JewQ answers at the bottom of this page -- scroll all the way down
1. When was Judaism founded?|
(a) 1000 C.E.
(b) 5000 B.C.E.
(c) 2000 B.C.E.
(d) 1000 B.C.E.
2. Who was the mother of Moses?
3. Who was born a Moabite, became a Jew and was the great-grandmother of King David?
4. Complete this line from Exodus 23:9: "You shall not oppress the _______ for you were _________ in the land of Egypt."
5. The Jews received the Torah at _____________ __________. God said there: "You shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a ________ __________." (Exodus 19:6)
6. The phrase "Chosen People" refers to:
7. The First Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed in 586 B.C.E. by which power?
8. The tragic last stand of the Jews in their revolt against Rome took place at:
9. The Spanish Jews who chose conversion between 1391-1492 and continued to practice Judaism in secret were called:
10. The first Jewish community in North America was established in this settlement by 23 Dutch Jews fleeing the Inquisition in Brazil:
11. In 1807, __________ freed the Jews from their ghettos, granting them citizenship.
12. The main wave of 2 million Jewish immigrants entered the United States in which period?
13. What Jewish person won nine Olympic gold medals in swimming and is considered the greatest swimmer in the history of the sport?
14. TRUE OR FALSE? Historians cite three factors that distinguish the Holocaust from other genocides: its cruelty, its scale and its efficiency.
15. During the Holocaust, what three countries resisted the deportation of their Jewish population?
16. "Hear O Israel the Lord is Our God, the Lord is One" is the first line of?:
17. A mitzvah is:
18. Where is it written:
19. Fill in: "On three things does the world stand: Torah, service to God, and acts of ____________" (Pirke Avot).
20. TRUE OR FALSE? The Declaration of the Establishment of the State of Israel offers "Arab inhabitants of the State of Israel" the "full and equal citizenship and due representation in all its provisional and permanent institutions."
Test contributors include the American Jewish Committee, Jewish Outreach Institute, www.expertrating.com and The Journal editors.
JewishJournal.com is produced by TRIBE Media Corp., a non-profit media company whose mission is to inform, connect and enlighten community