March 20, 2012
Toulouse victims to be buried in Israel
The four victims of the attack on a Jewish school in Toulouse will be buried in Israel.
The bodies will be flown from Toulouse to Paris by the French Air Force and then will be flown by El Al to Israel.
The burials in Jerusalem are scheduled for Wednesday.
A man riding a motorbike opened fire Monday morning outside the Ozar Hatorah School in Toulouse, where students were waiting to enter the building at the start of the school day, before fleeing. Rabbi Jonathan Sandler, 30, and his 4- and 5-year-old sons, Gabriel and Arieh, as well as the 7-year-old daughter of the school’s principal, were killed in the attack.
Sandler is reported to be a French citizen, though he studied at a yeshiva in Israel for many years. His wife and children are dual French-Israeli citizens, according to reports.
The Sandler family reportedly moved to France from Israel last year to serve as emissaries for two years,
France’s Ambassador to Israel, Kristoff Bigot, said Tuesday in the Knesset that “This is not just a case of crimes against the victims this is a crime against democracy and against Israel’s and France’s shared values.”
He said there is a “great deal of shock in France” in the wake of the “barbaric attack.”
JewishJournal.com is produced by TRIBE Media Corp., a non-profit media company whose mission is to inform, connect and enlighten community