(a) 1000 C.E.
(b) 5000 B.C.E.
(c) 2000 B.C.E.
(d) 1000 B.C.E.
2. Who was the mother of Moses?
3. Who was born a Moabite, became a Jew and was the great-grandmother of King David?
4. Complete this line from Exodus 23:9: "You shall not oppress the _______ for you were _________ in the land of Egypt."
5. The Jews received the Torah at _____________ __________. God said there: "You shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a ________ __________." (Exodus 19:6)
6. The phrase "Chosen People" refers to:
(a) God chose the Jews to be persecuted.
(b) God entered into a covenant with the Jews.
(c) Only Jews are made in the image of God.
7. The First Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed in 586 B.C.E. by which power?
8. The tragic last stand of the Jews in their revolt against Rome took place at:
9. The Spanish Jews who chose conversion between 1391-1492 and continued to practice Judaism in secret were called:
10. The first Jewish community in North America was established in this settlement by 23 Dutch Jews fleeing the Inquisition in Brazil:
(a) New Amsterdam
11. In 1807, __________ freed the Jews from their ghettos, granting them citizenship.
12. The main wave of 2 million Jewish immigrants entered the United States in which period?
13. What Jewish person won nine Olympic gold medals in swimming and is considered the greatest swimmer in the history of the sport?
14. TRUE OR FALSE? Historians cite three factors that distinguish the Holocaust from other genocides: its cruelty, its scale and its efficiency.
15. During the Holocaust, what three countries resisted the deportation of their Jewish population?
16. "Hear O Israel the Lord is Our God, the Lord is One" is the first line of?:
(a) The Israeli National Anthem
(b) The Shemoneh Esrei
(c) The "Shema"
17. A mitzvah is:
(a) A prayer
(b) A commandment
(c) A sin
18. Where is it written:
(a)"We support the non-Jewish poor together with the Jewish poor, and we visit the non-Jewish sick alongside the Jewish sick, and we bury non-Jewish dead alongside Jewish dead, all for the sake of the ways of peace."
(b)"You shall not stand idly by the blood of your neighbor. I am the Lord."
19. Fill in: "On three things does the world stand: Torah, service to God, and acts of ____________" (Pirke Avot).
20. TRUE OR FALSE? The Declaration of the Establishment of the State of Israel offers "Arab inhabitants of the State of Israel" the "full and equal citizenship and due representation in all its provisional and permanent institutions."
Test contributors include the American Jewish Committee, Jewish Outreach Institute, www.expertrating.com and The Journal editors.
We welcome your feedback.
Your information will not be shared or sold without your consent. Get all the details.
Terms of Service
JewishJournal.com has rules for its commenting community.Get all the details.
JewishJournal.com reserves the right to use your comment in our weekly print publication.